Thursday, December 5, 2013

What I want to learn from the parents

I know this blog is late but I didn't feel right not putting one up. I was thinking about how we're going to meet some of the parents of the school and I thought this'll be a great experience. I always hear about parents getting in the way of education (I.e getting books banned, or theories banned, ect) and I think a lot of it boils down to there being no communication. While I certainly don't agree with books being banned I think a parent has the right to have some say in their child's education. What I want to know from these parents is:

What are they looking for in a teacher?
 What could I do as a teacher to make them feel more involved in their child's education?
 What do they think their job as parent is in making sure their student gets the best education they can?
What is the ideal way a teacher and a parent can work together in their mind?

I think the most important thing is to establish a community. A parent that wants to be involved in their child's education shouldn't be seen as a bad thing or something that gets in the way. We are only responsible for the child's learning for a few hours a day. The parent is a great resource in establishing a community that looks at learning as something that happens in and outside of school.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with this idea of community. If we fail to establish a connection with parents and the students home life, in some instances it may seem as though the student is taking one step forward while in school and then taking two steps back while at home. I think strong parent/teacher relationship is one way of doing this, but it also goes back to what we talked about earlier in the semester. And that is teaching students how to transfer learning to situations that are relevant to "real life"

    ReplyDelete