Thursday, December 12, 2013

summative post

What is my relationship with my students?
            That has been my essential question all throughout this semester. I’ll be their teacher but what else am I to them? Am I their friend? Am I their motivator? Their advisor? I’m not sure any one role makes up a teacher. I think different days call for different things and this semester really helped me understand what my role as teacher is.
            For instance I learned that a teacher is someone who understands what students are going through. I rode that bus every Thursday and every Thursday I was nauseous. What does that mean for my students who come in every morning and can’t handle the ride either? It doesn’t mean I expect less from them or don’t expect them to use the start of their school day for learning. It just means I go about learning differently. I learned through this semester that any limit you create on a person acts like a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I tell a student they’re not ready to learn then there is a good chance they’ll believe me.
            Another example of this is when I witnessed students returning from lunch or from the hallways. They were overly hyper and difficult to calm down and focus. Like the bus ride example I think it is important not to limit their educational time. One could easily think “give them five minutes to cool down.” While I don’t necessarily disagree with this I find myself wondering if there isn’t something more I could do.
            I guess what I’ve been thinking about with my question is what does a teacher do? I think with those two examples it is important to establish a community through routine. I think a solution to both those problems might be something like a “check in”, an exercise in which kids take five or so minutes to calm down and get their minds ready for the content at hand. One could have them use their urge to talk as a way to create social structure. One could also give that student who needs a moment to calm down from a bumpy car ride to school an in class writing prompt. Starting the day with something quick, low stakes, and relaxed will give the students a moment to switch into learning mode while also giving them the opportunity to show their learning. If one carefully constructs these start of the day exercises into the fabric of their class then students will already come to expect it.

            I think what I’m getting at is that it’s important not to see teaching just as content. It’s not just about knowing literature it’s about making it accessible to your students. I can know everything there is to know about the English language but if my students don’t understand it then it doesn’t matter. Teaching is about the student, not the teacher. So I think my role as a teacher is to understand them and their needs. I need to understand that they are not just blank canvases ready to learn, they have plenty of things going on in their lives that will detract them from learning. It may be the usual like car (or regular) sickness, or too much energy from lunch or break, but it might also be any number of other things. In a weird and strange world of constant variables I think it is the teacher’s job to figure out how to cut through all of that and create a space where learning can happen. I think routine is important because as I said the world is strange and always changing. If the classroom is the only place that is constant and accessible for them than it is our job to make it so. 


No comments:

Post a Comment