Friday, September 20, 2013

Lit Profile

Sorry for the delay here's my lit profile:
When I was young I used to love thinking up stories. I would spend class days day dreaming about new super heroes and ninja warriors, the kinds of things I’d watch when I got home from class, and think up stories for them to live in. I remember one day I spent five hours in my room writing and drawing a comic about a frog who had all his limbs replaced with jetpacks and the crime fighting adventures he’d get himself into. To tell you the truth all this attention to the make believe is probably the reason I never did so well in school as a kid.
            I never really stopped telling stories. I’d fill my journals with little ideas or characters that I had no room for yet but maybe one day I could find a home for. I’ve heard people say you don’t learn how to write stories you just wait for inspiration to strike. I don’t really agree with this. There’s a lot I did to improve my writing and there’s a lot I still can do.
            As I grew up and realized this was a passion of mine I wanted to learn how to improve. I started by reading interviews from the authors I admired the most. Mostly I was looking for any and all sage advice I could find. The vast majority of them said the same thing: write. Write every day, write often, finish what you write, and move on to the next thing. So that’s what I did. I gave myself a schedule, write every day for one hour, and I kept to it. It took me awhile to realize it but writing is a lot like exercising. Nobody walks into the gym and lifts huge amounts of weights their first day, nobody runs a marathon and expects to do well their first time. So as such I learned to accept that I would struggle at first, that my best work would come later and that I was working up towards it. I accepted that writing was like a muscle, not some magical inspiration generator, and that I had to work my creativity muscle.
            Next I read a lot. I didn’t just read books I enjoyed I read books I hated and I analyzed why I hated them. I learned what to avoid and from the good books I learned what worked. I read things like “Alan Moore’s guide to writing comics.” A book about ways to think up new innovative methods for writing comic books, though admittedly the material was applicable to any medium.
            I think writing stories and teaching have a lot in common. Writing requires a lot of organization, you have to keep track of all the characters, the settings, plots, ect. Teaching is a lot like that. You have to remember all your students, all their needs and accommodations, you have to organize your time and your ideas, and then there’s all the papers you have to organize. However I don’t think that is the most important similarity.
            Teaching and writing are, at their core, about one thing: getting your point across. As a writer you have to write a story that puts ideas in the reader’s head with out over explaining the symbols and metaphors. No one wants to read a book where all the author does is tell you what happens instead of showing you. The same thing goes for teaching. One can’t simply tell a student the meaning of a poem, or a show them a math equation. They have to present the material in such a way that the students can replicate it and show understanding. For both of them it’s not just about how great of an idea you think it is but also clearly you present it to your audience.

            I think that’s what I like the most about teaching and writing. They both depend a lot on you. With writing there are only so many plots, really when you break it down there are really only 2 plots in writing, what makes it unique is how you write it and what you bring to it. With teaching all the content is already there for you. You don’t have to write the poems you teach or discover the formulas or anything like that but how you put your own twist on it is what makes you a good teacher. There are plenty of resources out there to help you teach, much like the books that taught me how to write, but ultimately it’s about what you can bring to the table. 


No comments:

Post a Comment