Wednesday, November 20, 2013

How to differentiate instruction?

So after having that very inspirational discussion with the panel of students I initially felt more inspired to be a teacher than I did before. Who wouldn't want to work with such bright students that have a real passion for learning like they do? I have to wonder though what the students who weren't the leaders of their class would say? I think it's important to understand that there are so many different types of students out there and what worries me is how do I teach them all the way they need to be taught?

One thing I noticed is that all four kids seemed to want four very different things from their teachers and from their assignments. One kid was adamant about getting packets while another was strongly against them. One student liked group work another hated it. So I wonder what does that mean for me as a teacher? How do I appeal to all my students when they all want different things? Do I give packets sometimes and something else another time? Do I give different options for my assignments?

All this tends to overwhelm me. As a teacher candidate my biggest worry is how I'll accommodate all my learners. How can I keep a lesson or activity engaging to everyone while also making sure they all learn?


2 comments:

  1. I touch upon this in my blog too. I am also a little terrified about how to teach to the different skill levels and learning styles. I think it may all lead back to learning about who your students are and taking the time to focus on helping everyone. No one has said any of this would be easy, but I don't think any of us want to go into teaching because we think it is easy or not stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be a common fear because this aspect of teaching makes me anxious as well. I think, like with most aspects of our new profession, we will learn how to manage learner differences through experience. I find myself continuously referring to the "getting to know your students" theme when discussing effective teaching. So here again I find myself suggesting "getting to know your students" as a place to start learning how to accommodate diverse learner styles. This semester's experience has really changed my views of a teacher's role in education. I was always so concerned with classroom management, lesson planning, and my own teaching performance, but this semester has really opened my eyes to the fact that the most important aspect of teaching is the student: What supports do they need and in what areas of learning do they need them? How do I get through to each of my students, both personally and academically? What motivates them as learners? What teaching methods are most effective? When it comes to learner differences we must consider each individual student AND the class as a whole. One student might like jigsawing but not packets while another feels the opposite, therefore by providing both experiences we accommodate both students. When creating our curriculum I believe that it is imperative to have an eclectic mix of activities and lessons. In doing so, students with different learning preferences have the chance to experience learning through their favorite activities. And while It will still be necessary to provide students who continue to struggle with additional scaffolding and educational supports, the wider the range of learning experiences you provide, the better the chance you have of engaging all your students.

    ReplyDelete