Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My essential question

So I've been thinking about my essential question and I've been thinking about what kind of teacher I want to be. I want to be a teacher that has a good relationship with my students but I've had teachers who tried to be "the cool teacher" and it honestly made me respect them less. I don't want to be the 30 year old who is trying to have a bunch of 16 year old friends. I don't want to be the strict teacher that my students hate either. I remember a teacher I respected a lot who, when I went back to high school to interview him for a class i was taking, said he didn't believe it was his job to help students figure out who they were. He said his job was to teach them English and that's what he'd do. Anything else like aptitude tests, mentoring, and advice he said wasn't his business. I always loved his class when I was in high school and it confused me to hear this. I'm not surprised by this, not many of my teachers could have been considered the 'mentoring type'. I'm not sure that's what I want either but as a kid it would have been nice to have someone to go to about college nad the 'real world' that wouldn't just give me the same basic "go to college" answer that I'm sure most teachers feel obligated to say. I guess one essential question that I'm working around with is: What is my non instructor role as a teacher to my students? What do I owe my students and what line do I want to draw with them? How involved in my students lives do I want to be? This is a question that finds its way in my head a lot. I often wonder not only what kind of teacher do I want to be but what kind of teacher I'll end up being. I think what I want and what I find out works best for me might end up being too different things. After all I know so little about who I am as a teacher.





1 comment:

  1. The struggle in teacher identity definitely resides in the balance of mentor and instructor, and I think that there is an appropriate middle ground. That middle ground is what I myself am trying to find and is what my essential question involves. I really like your picture to, it gave me a little laugh.

    ReplyDelete